Anabolic steroids refer to synthetic variations of the testosterone hormone which is the male sex hormone. Like other prescription drugs, anabolic steroids are harmless when used in moderation as health practitioners often prescribe. Unfortunately, anabolic steroids, just like it is the case with opioids, get misused and abused. This vice is rampant especially in Baltimore, Maryland where many young people abuse anabolic steroids. The health effects can be devastating as you are about to find out. Fortunately, there is always a solution to addicts.
Health Effects Of Anabolic Steroid Addiction
The most common health effects affect the brain and neurological functions. It is therefore common to come across anabolic steroid addicts who exude impaired judgment, delusions, mania, paranoia and extreme irritability. Long term use of anabolic steroids has also been proven to cause the following conditions to develop.
- Shrinking testicles
- Heart failure
- Low sperm count
- Kidney failure
- Liver damage
Note that anabolic steroid addiction is common in men and few women abuse it. This can be attributed to the need to alter one’s gender, peer pressure or the need to improve sports performance. In the long run, a woman abusing anabolic steroids is more likely to suffer from either all or any of the following conditions.
- Growth of facial hair
- Enlarged clitoris
- Changes in menstrual cycle
- Decreased breast size
- Male pattern baldness
How People Abuse Anabolic Steroids In Baltimore, Maryland
Anabolic steroid addiction takes many forms. There are other factors too such as age and money which determine how often one can have access to anabolic steroids. All said and done, anabolic steroid addiction can be categorized in the following forms.
- Stacking – It is by far the most common form of anabolic steroid addiction. For stacking, addicts combine different types of anabolic steroids. The combination can be a mixture of injectable steroids with oral steroids.
- Cycling – It is nearly as common as stacking. It is where an addict takes huge doses over a long time then stops taking the dose and later restarts the vice.
- Pyramiding – It is where an addict increases dosage as well as frequency of abuse until he or she reaches a peak then gradually reduces the dosage and frequency of abuse to zero.
- Plateauing – It is where an addict avoids tolerance by alternating different types of anabolic steroids.
Symptoms Of Anabolic Steroid Addiction
Symptoms often depend on how severe one’s case is. However, the following symptoms are common in both long term and short term addicts:
- Sleep disorders such as insomnia
- Low libido
- Loss of appetite
How You Can Overcome Anabolic Steroid Addiction In Baltimore, Maryland
Cognitive behavioral therapy always works for short term addiction cases. This is hardly ever the case when it comes to long term addiction. CBT works but only when combined with other treatment options such as medication and endocrine therapies.
Call Our Anabolic Steroids Addiction Hotline in Baltimore, Maryland Today!
It does not matter how bad your anabolic steroids addiction is. There is always a solution. Start by first seeking professional help. Give us a call. We will listen to your problems privately and without judging you. Our experts will then take you through a recovery plan until you can achieve an anabolic steroid-free lifestyle. Call our Maryland addiction hotline at (410) 692-8950 today!